Old October 16th 04, 06:24 PM
John Ings

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 11:48:22 -0400, z4869375 >
wrote:

>I bought a hydraulic trolley jack and a couple of jack stands. Can I
>jack up the car anywhere along the edge or must I use the jack points
>near the front and rear wheels/fenders?

If you could do that, why would they put in specially reinforced
jacking points?

You can also place your jack under either of the lower suspension arms
though, or most anywhere under the subframe in which the engine is
mounted and to which the suspension arms are bolted.
At the front this is usually directly under the radiator although it
may be hiddden by plastic splash shields. Always use your jack stands,
never the jack alone. Usually those are placed under the suspension
arms or the subframe.

Make sure the little 'crown' at the end of the jack arm is so placed
that it won't slip. Trolley jacks are meant to be used on a hard, flat
surface. If you have the park brake on so the car can't roll (which
you should) the trolley jack has to be free to move a little as its
arm swings up. If you're on soft ground and the wheels dig in, the
'crown' may be pulled off a narrow object like a suspension arm.

You don't have to go very far under the car to change the oil, but if
you plan on changing your oil filter you're going to have to go way
under there and the further up the car is the easier it is. Make sure
it's stable and safe.