Old March 11th 05, 06:34 PM
Michael Johnson, PE

Joe wrote:
> "Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in
> :
>

>>Joe wrote:
>>
>>>Does it say when it'll actually get there?

>>I bet Ford is delaying the release of the Cobra for two years to
>>give Mustang sales a boost just as interest in the car starts to
>>fade some. This is what they did with the release of the Bullit,
>>Mach etc. Since the car has received good press and sales are
>>strong there is really no reason to release another model that would
>>steal some of the thunder from the GT. In a couple years they will
>>need the Cobra to give the Mustang lineup an injection of
>>adrenaline.

> Could be, but (a) I don't think the Mustang will need any help with
> sales, and (b) I think the Cobra will sell regardless, as it's got its
> own hardcore audience. Nonetheless, it will be interesting to see
> what transpires down the road apiece...

I'm just guessing as to Ford's thinking on the Cobra. Most auto makers
delay the hot rod versions of their cars by several months to a few
years. DC is doing it with the 300C, Chevy with the Z06 (damn I love
that car!), Ford with the Cobra etc. I think it's driven more by
marketing than a result of production issues.

The Cobra enthusiasts will always be there and ready to buy. My guess
is Ford is looking to get press from the Cobra and lure some potential
buyers into the dealership that then opt for the less expensive GT or
base model. I'm just glad they are still making noise about a new Cobra
considering Ford's financial situation.