Old February 28th 05, 04:04 PM
ray

ZombyWoof wrote:

>>And for crissakes, why can't GM design a valve cover that doesn't leak?
>> Or at least make them easy to get to like on the old cars - I had to
>>dismantle 1/2 the accessories to get the valve covers off. I can pull
>>the engine out of my race car in the time it takes to GET to the valve
>>covers on this thing.
>>

>>Ray
>>

> Because your race car was designed for easy engine pulls.

Duh.
(actually the race car is just a 70's Camaro.)

Have you looked under the hood of a Blazer recently? The 4.3 is
buried... you have to hunt for the plug wires under all the crap. At
least on the wife's Beretta they have the valve covers nice and
accessable. Of course, the coils are hidden but that's a tradeoff.

To change the valve cover gaskets you have to disconnect the the air
cleaner, the throttle body and injectors, pull the coil and bracket,
remove a coolant crossover tube, remove the serpentine belt and
alternator and probably more stuff that I forgot.

Maybe I'm just grumpy because it was a lot of stuff to disconnect for
what should be a simple job.

But like I said, have they finally managed to design valve covers that
don't leak and need to be changed every couple of years?

That was one of the reasons we passed on a new Blazer - I can't see
servicing that thing in 5 years as being anything but extremely difficult.

Ray