Old June 8th 05, 04:12 PM

Dave Head wrote:
> > I've never heard of an insurance company doing such a thing as attempting
> > get a customer in trouble with the law. The worst they're liable to do is
> > try
> > to get out of paying, and that's not likely either if they're a reputable
> > company. Their biggest quibble might be the lack of a police report. But
> > this
> > scenario is not unbelievable - I've been run off the road twice by big rig
> > drivers that just don't give a **** enough to look to see if there's
> > someone
> > beside them when they change lanes. (We need to be moving stuff by rail a
> > _lot_ more - with these accidents common, and now dumbass hillbilly
> > truckers
> > tossing **** bottles out the window - we need _lots_ less trucks on the
> > highway. Lots less...)
> >

> OK, using your argument, we should ban all drivers too, because some of them
> (documented in this newsgroups) are idiots.. so since some are idiots lets
> ban them all.

Its the way the world works - something gets to be more trouble than
its worth, you stop doing it.

All we'd have to do is have the government subsidize the construction
and maintenance of railroad rails and rights of way. Trucking would
dry up as way too expensive, as it should. Its a lot more
fuel-efficient and labor-efficient to move stuff by rail. The
"freebie" of the highways that we can no longer keep up, and have to
put under construction pretty much continuously because of the trucks
beating them to a pulp, would not be the big advantage that the
trucking industry now enjoys.

> Are you a democrat by any chance? because you sure use their flawed logic.

Libertarian that votes Republican on the sole basis of the gun issue.
Democrat come along that is more supportive of the 2nd amendment than
the Republican he's running against, I'll vote for the Democrat. Both
parties are really unacceptably attempting to limit freedom, but on
this one issue, the choice is usually pretty easy.

> There are just as many truckers on the other side of the spectrum, who pull
> drivers from fiery accidents and would help even you in a life-death
> situation.

Sure, and they pull people out of burning cars not because they're
truckers, but because of the quality human beings that they are. This
means they would do it if they were driving their cars, too. So,
there's no real benefit for having them in 80,000 lb vehicles where one
careless move can screw up a lot of traffic, maybe spread toxic
chemicals all over the road or into the air, etc. Less trucks would be
a good thing.

Get rid of the trucks. Move stuff on rails. People won't be getting
run off the road quite so often, and can sometimes even "push back" if
the other car is about the same size or lighter.

Dave Head