Old July 6th 04, 08:32 PM
Steve

"H20Rapidz" > wrote in message
> Well I heard back from the dealership.
> They want $500 to tear the head down to see if it is the gasket or the

head.
> this is not the repair just the tear down.
> I called a few engine exchange places and it will cost me $3000 to rebuild

my
> engine new pistons rings bearings oil pump with 3 year unlimited mile

warrenty.
> $3000 is a lot but I get a motor with 0 miles. compared to a $1200

repaired
> head on a motor with 85,000 miles on it.
> The car is in great shape and wonder if the rebuild is the better option.

At suggestion of my dealer's service manager, I contacted Saturn
Customer Service (there was a link to them on the Saturn web site). Saturn
agreed to pay for the parts; I paid for the labor, total cost to me just
over $1000. YMMV. In fact, since you have an earlier model (mine is a 1999
SL), you may be covered under the warrantee extension (to 10 years/100,000
miles), although my information was that it covered 1994-1996 model years.
Good luck!