Old September 6th 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dave Milne[_1_]

Default '79 304 Edelbrock carb problems vs Holley carbs?

Thanks. Looks like perhaps I should have ordered the calibration kit in
retrospect. Anyhow, after a 2 week wait, it has arrived so I'll fit at the
weekend.

Quite looking forward to it - my carb experience has been mainly with
multiple SU's (single barrel downdraft) and the odd side draft Weber -
never done anything on a 4 barrel like Holley or Edelbrock before.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ
"c" > wrote in message
> Dave,
>
> When the companies that make carb give them their initial settings from

the
> factory, they take all kinds of compromised in to consideration. They

don't
> know if the carb will be used on a large or small displacement engine, or

if
> it will be used in hot or cold climate, high altitude, etc. They also

don't
> know what other mods have been done to these engines. The baseline

settings
> they give these carbs will allow them to run on most of the applications
> they will see, but they almost always require tuning to get them to be
> optimal. My guess would be that this carb would still be a little rich,

but
> it is just a guess. I'm not saying it won't run, it will, and it will
> probably be pretty damn close to right.
>
> The metering rod system that Carter/Edelbrock uses will "adjust" the

mixture
> based on engine vacuum. The rods are controlled by a piston and spring,
> similar to many other carbs. When the engine vacuum is low, the metering

rod

1
> or 2 sets of rods to get the carb where you need it to be.
>
> Chris
>

> "Dave Milne" > wrote in message
> . uk...
> > Any idea if the Edelbrock 600cfm 1405 Performer + Edelbrock 2131

manifold

?

> > Dave Milne, Scotland
> > '91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ
> > "c" > wrote in message
> >> Without knowing what size carb, choke or no choke, and which manifold,

it
> > is
> >> hard to tell you what the problem could be. What I can tell you is that
> >> Edelbrock and Holley carbs are both set up from the factory with a
> >> general
> >> tune. This mean the carb may or may not need to be set up properly for

> > your
> >> particular engine. In general, the Edelbrock carbs run too rich with

the