Old September 1st 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel

Default Replacing front tires

Wally wrote:
> Hi.
> I have an '89 Olds car with 4 Goodyear Aquatred tires on it.
> I need to replace the front pair of tires as the car will not pass
> state inspection because of tread depth. I want to just replace the
> front tires as the rear tires are still in good shape, tread-wise.
> Question I have is that the tread toward the inside of the tire on both
> the front tires is worn down more than the outside part of the tread.
> What does this signify and what do I need to have adjusted when I bring
> the car in to replace the tires?
> Also, I do not want to spend the extra $ on new Aquatreds so what is a
> decent tire/brand that I can put on the front axle given the rear axle
> still has Aquatreds?
>
> Thanks.
> Walter

First of all, you need an alignment at a minimum, and the alignment tech
may very well find some other issues with the front end that need to be
rectified (tie rods, strut bearings, ball joints, etc.) to make the car
safe. But if they didn't appear on your inspection report, make sure
you really need them.

Secondly, if you get new tires, you should rotate the tires so that the
newest ones are on the rear of the car, to keep the vehicle stable in
bad weather conditions.

good luck,

nate

--