Old July 22nd 05, 02:43 PM
carl

> >given lash values are correct for most of the dealers.

> Is the valve lash correctly set? Was it set to the correct gap with
> the engine at the proper temperature?

Yes, measured hot, set cold and verified hot. And reverified cold.

> How do you know the valves were tightened too much.

Because of the above, they were checked after a mechanic had adjusted them.
They were 2/1000th of an inch too tight, some 3/1000th.

> A rattling or rapping sound can come from a lot of sources besides
> valves. An exhaust leak can make a rattly sound when cold, as can
> loose wristpins, main and connecting rod bearings as well as valves
> that are not correctly gapped.
> It is all but impossible to correctly diagnose the cause of noise from
> a written description on this or any other forum. I would suggest that
> you have an experienced mechanic disgnose the problem, preferably one
> familiar with whatever make of car you have.

I'm trying to find someone. Had a bad experience with the last one.

> > Does the noise pattern, like after throttle release, point to something
> > worse ( low- high end or main bearing ) ? I thought they would make

heavier
> > noise. There could have been oil issues in the past.

> What is an oil issue. Do you mean the engine was run without oil, or
> the oil was never changed?

The oil was overfilled to a level at least half an inch too high. in the end
it, or what was left was removed, but the car consumed the quantity between
the dipstick markings in about 1000 mi. There was no interest from the
dealer to look into it, although it was strange, but I did not see this
dramatic drop again (yet).

> > Also, timing could have
> > been too early 4 degrees for a long time, or late 4 degrees for 1000

miles
> > now, giving more than normal bearing load ?

> How did you determine the ignition timing had been reset over such a
> wide range.

The distributor has been turned that much. But was it turned along time ago
and has someone reset it to its correct position, or was it turned a while
ago and reset, or is it set to less advance now ? I could not get an answer
from the dealer, because he said turning a distributor does not affect
advance on this ECU engine.

> Don't start adjusting valves and replacing rockers before you know what
> the problem is. I would strongly suggest that a mechanic with the
> proper tools and training take a look at the car.

I did have to have the valve lash adjusted because it was much too tight. I
asked some mechanics to look at it, but they are confident that this type of
engine can stand anything, and never has problems.

Thanks again,

Carl