Old June 9th 05, 06:25 PM
Ted B.

"Gordon Burditt" > wrote in message
>>> (1) The current rate per kilometer (or mile) being paid.
>>> This allows people to complain that they are being taxed
>>> for driving on their own lawn. It also lets them know
>>> about the expensive peak times, so they can avoid them.

>>How is one supposed to avoid driving at peak times?

> The proponents of the Big Brother Taxing Scheme claim that it
> can by specifically taxing *congested* roads at peak times
> higher (which is different from taxing all roads at peak times
> higher, although it may not seem that way if "congested roads"
> includes almost all of the freeways).
>
> Someone may be able to avoid driving on congested freeways at peak
> times. Alternate routes. Vary the schedule. Now, I don't claim
> everyone can, but enough might change their habits to reduce the
> worst of the congestion.

The problem with that theory is that it is based on the false premise that
drivers WANT to drive on congested roads at peak congestion times. The
congestion itself is incentive enough to cause drivers to seek alternate
routes and/or vary times. The congestion would be even worse if drivers
weren't ALREADY doing what the tax is supposed to encourage them to
o. -Dave