Old March 8th 05, 04:13 AM
Pete C.

JazzMan wrote:

> Pete C. wrote:
> >
> > The paranoid anti nuke folks will of course try to hype anything they
> > can to get attention, but that does not make the terrorist threat any
> > more legitimate than most of their other arguments.
> >
> > I'll note that in all the decades of nuclear energy production there has
> > only been one truly significant accident in the entire world - Chernobyl

> Don't forget these:
>
> http://www.nci.org/i/ib10499.htm
> http://www.freenewmexican.com/news/10179.html
>
> A few others:
> http://www.science.uwaterloo.ca/~cch.../accident.html
>
> I like that "...there has only been one truly significant accident
> in the entire world...", except for the others, that is. LOL! There
> have been thousands of smaller accidents that resulted in little
> to no radiation release to the envirnment, but to ignore those is
> the exact same thing as ignoring the shuttle tiles that were damaged
> by foam in the years before Columbia. Nothing made by man is perfect.

And that is exactly incorrect. If there was little to no radiation
release it just proves that the safety systems *did* work. Just because
it feed someone's paranoia does not make it a significant accident.

The accidents are not ignored either, the lessons learned from them are
incorporated into the next generation reactor designs. This is no
different than the lessons learned from aircraft accidents and auto
accidents with exception that in those accidents people get killed.

To imply that because there were accidents the whole idea of nuclear
energy should be scrapped is utterly ridiculous and just the mentality
of the paranoid anti nuke loonies. If the same illogic were applied
elsewhere we would have no aircraft, no cars, etc.

Half a dozen planes crashed, lets ban them all! A hundred cars crashed,
lets ban them all! Total nonsense...

Planes crash, the causes are studied and changes are incorporated in
other planes to prevent the same accident from occurring again. Cars
crash and the causes are studied and changes are incorporated to help
prevent them. The shuttle blew up twice and both times the causes were
studied, changes made and the shuttle flew (or will fly) again. This is
how progress is made.

Pete C.