Old July 17th 05, 06:56 PM
Steve B.

> Well, that's what I was hoping at least. The biggest concern of mine is that a
> new head, being perfectly sealed, will increase the load on the compression
> rings causing them to fail sooner, or at least increase blowby (fouling the oil
> more quickly and perhaps overloading the PCV system).

Unless your engine is just dog tired and worn out this doesn't seem to
be as big of a factor as it used to be. Were it mine I would get the
head done and slap it all back together.

Unless you have a particular reason to suspect bearing problems in the
bottom end I would leave it alone. If you start having oil pressure
problems in the future you can always do the bearing then without
having to redo the work you are doing on your heads now.

Take it from someone who doesn't know where to stop.... You have to
keep the project to a managable size and avoid all the "might as
wells" that pop up along the way. If a "might as well" is cheap and
would cause you to have to redo a massive amount of work then do it
otherwise leave it for another day.

Steve B.