Old July 16th 05, 08:07 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Ryan Underwood" > wrote in message
> Hi,
> We are getting a new rebuilt head and head bolts for the 90 Accord EX (16V
> SOHC) with 200k as soon as we confirm a burned valve on the old one. What

is
> the recommended head gasket for this application, aftermarket or OEM? And
> what, if anything, should be done to the (aluminum) block to ensure a good

seal
> besides thoroughly cleaning the old gasket off? The head rebuilder has
> recommended NOT to retorque the head bolts after 500mi or sand any surface
> pattern into the deck, as seem to be common wisdom depending on who you

talk
> to.

Mostly, retorquing isn't needed these days, hasn't been for a couple decades
now. For starters many head gaskets are the "no retorque" kind. Also, if
you have "torque to yield" head bolts, as many engines do, to do a retorque
means removing the head bolts and throwing them all out and putting new
ones in.

For the aluminum block, you can use a wire brush but be careful with it -
don't use a
wire brush on a drill, use a hand brush and stop brushing when aluminum
starts to
appear under the old gasket material.. There are chemical products out there
that are designed to clean off old gaskets you might try those. For a
scraper, use
a plastic ice scraper, not a metal one.

Don't sand, wire brush, or steel wool directly on the aluminum.

I would also recommend chasing the threads in the block with a tap. Some
people just drill all of them out and replace them with HeliCoils.

> Is there anything else important to replace along with the head besides

the
> timing belt, water pump, and all associated gaskets that would be hard to

get
> to later? Example: any known problems with the front crank seal, oil

pump, or
> timing belt tensioner?

Yes, if the head bolts are torque-to-yield you must replace all of them.

#1.
> No noise at all, just has no power. The car overheated once about five

years
> ago due to a leaking hose, but nothing bad seems to have come of that

luckily.
> Since it is aluminum, the deck will be checked for true before proceeding.

How many miles on this? Frankly, an engine that was owned by an owner
who neglected oil changes is a poor candidate for new heads. Your better
off just rebuilding the entire thing.

Ted