Old September 5th 06, 07:50 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Goff Deegle

Default Oil coming from valve cover gasket (Audi 100, 2.0 litre, KP engine)

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 06:15:41 +0100, Goff Deegle >
wrote:

>The car is a 1986 Audi 100 (5-cylinder KP engine, petrol)
>
>In order to get rid of an oil leak, I've renewed the front crankshaft
>oil seal, the front camshaft oil seal and the valve cover gasket.
>Now there is oil coming out (in some volume) from the valve cover
>gasket.
>
>The only thing I can think of is in that renewing the camshaft seal
>(and cleaning out the recess) I've inadvertently blocked the oil
>return hole, or perhaps the camshaft seal is slightly too far in (it's
>supposed to be flush with the housing) and is doing the same.
>
>I don't think the valve cover gasket has been overtightened (it's
>rubber) and I don't think the breather hoses got blocked during gasket
>replacement.

False alarm. The gasket I was sold was for a KU engine, not a KP
engine. The KP engine has cylinder head studs with a raised base
which the rubber gasket for the KU doesn't accommodate.