Old January 27th 05, 06:04 AM
Chas Hurst

"Lawrence Glickman" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 00:08:55 -0500, "Daniel J. Stern"
> > wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, William. Boyd wrote:
> >
> >> I use Liquid wrench, WD is good but the LW is a tad better.

> >Both of them are silly kid stuff. Kroil and Mopar 3418039 are the only

two
> >penetrating fluids worth messing with.

> The nut part of the plug, if I read the OP's post correctly, is gone,
> leaving only the threaded bottom portion of the plug in the hole.
>
> With the nut gone, on a dead-cold engine block, there shouldn't be
> _much_ holding the threads in place except for corrosion.
>
> I guess the EZ-out idea is a good one but I would use that as a last
> resort, since you have to drill into the lower part of the plug and
> that is almost guaranteed to place particles of plug in the cylinder.
> I would try a screwdriver blade gently hammered into the porcelain, so
> as not to break it but create a slot for the screwdriver head, and try
> to work -that-. EZ out would be final solution, not first choice.

There's no need to drill anything with the correct size easy-out. The
correct size being 9/16 IIRC.
Since all that remains is the threads the entire porcelain can be removed
with a flex grabber. My first choice would be a beer. But the easy-out is a
close second.
Have you ever really extracted a broken plug?