Old August 9th 06, 04:56 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
gpsman

Default Again with the ticket quotas

Arif Khokar wrote:
> http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06220/711935-85.stm

Watch this. My fingers never leave my hands...

Trooper lawsuit claims ticket quota

Tuesday, August 08, 2006
By Paula Reed Ward, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A state trooper yesterday filed a lawsuit against his employer and
numerous supervisors, claiming he's being punished for not meeting an
illegal quota for traffic citations.

Christopher D. Aubrecht, stationed with Troop T in New Stanton, cites
several claims, including defamation; invasion of privacy; inadequate
training and supervision; and the federal whistle-blower law.

Mr. Aubrecht claims that he always received satisfactory or above
performance level reviews. But in June 2005, after he received a
satisfactory review, his supervisor was ordered to change it "to
reflect that his work results needed improvement," because he failed
"to adhere to the station average for the issuance of traffic
citations," the lawsuit claims.

Troopers who did not meet the "illegal quota system," were punished,
Mr. Aubrecht contends, with fewer overtime opportunities; no promotions
and reassignments.

He claims that's what happened to him, and that the punishment he
received has interrupted his ability to attend college classes.
Additionally, he said troopers who exceeded the quota were rewarded.

Named as defendants in the lawsuit are the Pennsylvania State Police;
Col. Jeffrey B. Miller, the commissioner of the state police; several
other state-level and troop-level supervisors and the Pennsylvania
State Troopers Association.

Mr. Aubrecht is seeking to stop the enforcement of a quota system and
compensatory and punitive damages.
=====

It doesn't seem unreasonable to me that a cop assigned to traffic duty
might be expected to write a few tickets.

If the "station average" is 20/week and Mr. Aubrecht could only manage
to issue 2... with the clouds of sloths and LLB'ers clogging up the
highway... perhaps he was spending his time elsewhere.

As usual, the news report details very little; certainly enough to
speculate and rant, not enough on which to base an informed conclusion.
-----

- gpsman