Old March 10th 05, 10:08 PM
K. Daver

Default Audi questions from a perspective buyer

Hey everyone..

I test drove an Audi 3.0 the other day and absolutely love it. I'm
looking to get a used (certified) Audi soon and had some questions that
I hope can be answered. Of course, the dealers always talk up their car
-- they should, that's their job. I, of course, want honest answers and
want to make sure I get a decent car.

I was reading consumer reports and they didn't really speak highly of
the Audi. They rated the 2002 as having a lot of engine problems, while
the rest of the car did fairly well. It didn't do so well in the
electrical system, either. It didn't mention anything on the 2003 or
newer cars, but still rated the Audi as a "stay away". I was pretty
surprised at this as I've read user reviews on several car web sites and
everyone seems pretty pleased, with the exception of maybe the gas mileage.

How reliable are these cars? A few local friends who are mechanics,
have told me not to expect them to fix it because they've never worked
on an Audi before, and have heard that they are pretty intricate (fancy
word for expensive in this case). Consumer reports is pretty reliable
and I am concerned that they didn't give it a more favorable rating.
Are there specific models or model years that are more prone for
failure/problems?

The warranty seems pretty decent through certified dealerships -- up to
100K miles or 6(?) years. To me that seemed pretty decent, actually.

I test drove the 1.8 and didn't feel that that the car was very smooth.
It felt as though it was pulling. I drove the 3.0 and loved it. I
also see the 2.8 on the road, but don't understand the differences
between the 2.8 and 3.0. Why the need for both?

Lastly, I do like the car, but it will be the first time I've bought a
"luxury" car, so obviously I'm concerned about the expense of fixing it
should something go wrong. It's my understanding that parts are pretty
much OEM only which does rack up the price quite a few bucks.

I also test drove the Volvo S60 and didn't like it at all. Once I drove
the Audi, I really liked it. Just looking for some feedback from fellow
owners.

If you reply privately please remove the "NOSPAM" from my email address.

Thanks in advance!