Old May 31st 05, 09:55 PM
Ruel Smith

Nathan W. Collier wrote:

> you mentioned that you were considering IT and as i excuse myself from
> this conversation before mike hurts himself ill add this.Â*Â*ifÂ*youre
> alreadyÂ*a licensed plumber i would stay put (unless you dont like what
> youre doing). as the industry is becoming flooded with wanna-be
> administrators the real money will be reserved for only the best of the
> best.Â*Â*inÂ*fact,Â*asÂ*moreÂ*and more people rush into IT the demand in the
> service industry will only grow stronger.Â*Â*hvac/r,Â*plumbing,Â*electricians,
> controls,Â*etc.Â*willÂ*beÂ*inÂ*very high demand in the future.Â*Â*iÂ*myselfÂ*am
> preparingÂ*toÂ*launchÂ*myÂ*own refrigeration business and it looks like im
> going to have to pay moving expenses and offer incentives just to find
> qualified help.

Actually, I already _was_ in IT, but was supposed to be a programmer. I
programmed in Borland C++ Builder and helped maintain their small network
for a company for a short while, but they laid me off right around the time
of the dot-com collapse. I was taking Computer Science in college at that
time. I couldn't find another job in the field, with it shrinking so badly,
and me with that job as my only experience. I sold cars again for awhile,
even installed commercial laundry systems for a little over 3 years, and
eventually decided that I didn't want to be in another situation like the
programming job where the entire job field just collapses like it did and
decided to get into a trade. I'm now working on my journeyman's license as
a union plumber apprentice here in the Cincinnati area, local 392. I'm
pretty happy doing that.

--

Registered Linux user #378193