Old March 11th 05, 12:12 AM
Winston

> Toyota Minivan not starting - exactly 3 years old - all light comes on
> display panel, then when I push the to start, it says "kik kik...", no
> starting at all, tried with gas alsom "Braeak" ligh coming on disaply
> panel. No AAA membership, what to do?. I would like to take it to
> Sears, but how can I start?.
>
> Thanks.

The following science fiction story is not advice or direction of
any kind. If you should happen to hurt or embarass yourself or
anyone else after reading this, you agree to hold me completely
blameless.

Do not smoke or allow open flame within several hundred feet of
your work area.

Wearing your safety goggles and a shirt that you can throw away,
loosen the terminal bolts and remove the negative cable (-), then
the positive cable (+) from your battery.

DO NOT ALLOW YOUR WRENCH OR ANY METAL OBJECT TO COME INTO CONTACT WITH
THE POSITIVE TERMINAL OF THE BATTERY AND ANY OTHER METAL PART
AT THE SAME TIME. It could cause the battery to explode, splashing
hot acid all over your face and hands. I am not kidding.

Use a "battery terminal brush" purchased from your local auto parts
store to clean the corrosion from the battery connectors and cable ends.
The battery terminals and the connectors on the ends of the wires
should be clean and shiny.

Dampen a paper towel with water and sprinkle it with baking soda.
Wipe off the top of the battery with it. Place the used towel
directly into the garbage. Do not allow it to touch your clothing.

Install the positive (+) battery connector first.
Tighten the connector bolts so that the cables don't move when you
attempt to rotate them on the posts, but not so tight that the
threads strip and destroy the bolt or nut. Do the same with the
negative side.

Place a small amount of petroleum jelly on the outside of both the
battery connectors to limit further corrosion.

Batteries under charge generate hydrogen gas which can burn violently.
Do not smoke or allow open flame within several hundred feet of
a charging battery.

Immediately throw away your shirt and wash your hands and arms with
plenty of soap and water.

If your van does not start, you now need to charge the battery or
have the van towed to the shop of a competent repair person.

The End

--Winston