Old November 6th 04, 12:58 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, Bill Putney wrote:

> >>God loves the sinner but hates the sin.

> > If the "sin" (i.e., "abomination before the LORD") is wearing garments of
> > mixed fiber content, or a widower remarrying, or eating shellfish, or any
> > of the many other "abominations before the LORD" mentioned in The Bible,
> > those get a free pass from God -- just ask Bill.

> If you can show me where those things are said and apply to me, then I
> will consider them.

D'you seek to find out political candidates' stances on shellfish,
widower-remarrying, mixed-fiber garments, and so forth? Would you care one
way or the other if a Presidential candidate (or a schoolboard candidate,
for that matter) said he was strongly in favor of a constitutional
amendment banning marriages between widowers and new wives?

....and yet, let the topic be your one little particular "sin", and it
suddenly becomes all important (and God-driven) to you.

> > God wants morally-clean Americans to pass laws against icky women (100
> > years ago) icky brown people (50 years ago) icky gay people (today) --
> > says so right in The Bible. God wants Palestinians to blow themselves
> > up and kill people.

> Am I supposed to be feeling guilty about something here

Nope.

> You don't have to guess. The answers are available.

Yeah, yeah, I know. The cookbook approach to life.