Old March 8th 05, 06:22 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

This is such a silly discussion I can't resist joining in (again).

Nice extract from that Wikipedia link (edited):-

Objections to top-posting, as a general rule, seem to come from persons who
first went online in the earlier days of Usenet, and in communities that
date to Usenet's early days, [...] . Etiquette is looser (as is almost
everything) in the alt hierarchy. Newer online participants, especially
those with limited experience of Usenet, tend as a general rule, to be less
sensitive to top-posting, and tend to reject any argument against
top-posting as irrelevant. A typical contrarian view holds that their
software top-posts and they like it.

It may be that users used to older, terminal-oriented software which was
unable to easily show references to posts being replied to, learned to
prefer the summary that not top-posting gives; it's also likely that the
general slower propagation times of the original Usenet groups made that
summary a useful reminder of older posts. As news and mail readers have
become more capable, and as propagation times have grown shorter, newer
users may find top-posting more efficient."

As it is I manually delete the two hyphens that delineate the signature
because it has some advserse effect, I understand for Mozilla users. My
newsreader automatically inserts the hyphens.

DAS

---

[...]