Old August 27th 06, 04:38 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Tim923

Default Rear Ended on Freeway

On 27 Aug 2006 06:55:06 -0700, "Harry K" >
wrote:

>As Brent said, the only way you could fail to stop before hitting her
>with a 3 sec gap is mechanical failure (bad brakes), not paying
>attention, or very poor reflexes.

What was the driver stopping for? I think we all agree that it's
dangerous to slam on the breaks to a complete stop in a 70mph zone for
no good reason. It's just not expected.

Was there a squirrel in the road? A pedestrian in the road? Needed to
stop to take a look at the map? Needed to stop to change lanes to make
an exit in time? I wish they'd drive right PAST the exit and come back
to it. That's what I do.

I was involved in such an accident and hit the car ahead of me.
Unfortunately I had to learn who's fault it is was, based on the law.
My insurance covered the accident. And now I look out for brake
slammers and provide extra space. I warn other people that sometimes
drivers will just slam on the brakes for no apparent reason.