Old April 18th 06, 05:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Which cylinder is oil-fouled?

"fweddybear" > writes in article <ZGW0g.3505$8q.554@dukeread08> dated Mon, 17 Apr 2006 20:47:51 -0400:
> Well, you don't mention when you did the last tune up, but you can just
>pull the plugs out and see which one is fouled. they should be a tannish
>color. Any plug that looks wet or looks like it has alot of carbon
>(blackish color) has the possibilty of being fouled. This means it is
>running rich and assuming you haven't upgraded your engine with any
>improvements, chances are you may have other problems too, but if you
>haven't changed your plugs in 24,000 miles or so, I would consider changing
>them. ( I do mine at 12,000). I would also change the distributor cap and
>rotor inside if that hasn't been changed in a while also.
> Worst case scenario is if you have to add oil between oil changes,
>you may be in need of a valve and or ring job. Of course if you are going
>to do the valves, you might as well do the rings while you are in there so
>you won't have to go back and have it cost you much more the second time.
>Check the valves for proper clearance. The next thing I would concern
>myself with is tightening the valve covers if you see a leak.

No, it's not actually consuming oil I just thought it was 1 QT low 4K miles
after the previous oil change due to an erroneous dipstick reading.

I did change the plugs recently, was hoping to avoid pulling all of them.

Thanks for the suggestions everybody.

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net
The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.