Old April 5th 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default Rebuildable Rabbit Front Strut Bearings

You do not need to use brand new upper spring mounts every time you replace
the struts. Its nothing more then a piece of steel molded to the spring,
with a hole in it for the strut to go through. You reuse it all the time
until it rots , or you get the other springs, then you need the other one.
Put some paint on it if you want. There's external and internal threads for
the strut nut. The 84 should be external threads. Its easy to look at your
car and see which you have. I gave the years but it doesn't matter because
people use what they buy, and you just know,what's on your car unless you
look. If you're buying new strut housings , It doesn't matter anyway. You
can see what's on the new ones and order the appropriate struts, with the
correct nuts. Summary. Your bearings will work. Springs have matching
upper spring mounts. Strut housings have internal or external threads. The
new struts have a matching internal or external nut for the housing. And
the kicker,, there's rubber snubbers, or bumper stops, and a plastic cap
that go on the strut to keep them from bottoming out, and keep dirt off the
chrome part. Good luck... Since you seem to be willing to buy so many parts
.. I will add the following because this may be cheaper or easier or both.
Parts place for VWs has brand new completely assembled front strut
assemblies , housings, springs, struts bearings, mounts ,snubbers, caps .
Completely done for, 259 front pair. This means you remove two bottom bolts
and two top bolts and they are out. The Springs are already mounted. They
are Sachs or Boge. OEM. with firmer US springs. They have a core charge of
18 bucks but have a rebate for $20 off. I suspect all your parts ,because
you're buying housings will be more then that. But your way means you have
to mount the springs. There phone number is 1-248-373-2300 . the struts
number is sn 13691 The rebate number is 16386. The core needs to be there in
30 days or you lose your 18 bucks. They sell a rebuild kit for 159 too,
without the housing , but it has everything else brand new with old style
springs. So you have to find the upper mounts old style. Its Boge too.
external No.1996, internal No. 3947. No rebate or core. I don't work there
, just trying to help..
ink.com...