Old July 6th 06, 05:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
wavy

Default 1998 Saturn SC1

Maybe the problem isnt the tensioner...
Is the belt really loose? It might be a siezed up alternator, power
steering pump, water pump or A/C compressor pulley.
But the tensioner pulley and tensioning device are not too hard to
find.
If you look closely, you might see that the belt goes AROUND those
items I just mentioned, but the belt kindof goes BEHIND the tensioneer.

To remove it you'll need a socket wrench (14mm, I think) with a very
long handle just to take all the tension off the belt.
Once the belt is loose, slip it off the alternator. Then without the
belt, you can check to see if all the pulleys are "rotate-able".
To get the tensioner assembly off, simply unbolt it. It's attached by
a short arm to the tensioner pulley.
I dont know which parts of the tensioner are replaceable. You may or
may not have to replace the whole thing.
-WaV