Old April 7th 06, 02:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default Water in your Passat..SOLUTION..

Nice writeup. And, good to know about as a fellow B5 owner.

One comment: the big black thing you mentioned in step 8 is not the
brake master cylinder (although the m/c is attached to it).

It is actually the brake servo (a.k.a. brake booster). It's a large
vacuum diaphragm with control valves in it that cause it to 'servo' the
brake pedal position to a pushrod that drives the brake master cylinder,
with the pressure gain provided by vacuum (engine vacuum on a petrol engine)

The m/c itself is a much smaller affair, naked aluminum in our case I
think, with a number of brake lines coming out of it.

-Arthur