Old January 26th 05, 05:45 PM
Raybender

The Malt Hound wrote:

> "Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
> >
> > Excuse my confusion, but to replace the damper inserts involves
> > compressing the spring. And to do this possibly dangerous task with the
> > strut still attached to the car in any way is just plain stupid. Unless
> > I'm missing the obvious?

> I don't see the confusion. Yes, you remove the entire strut to replace the
> damper.
> No, this would not mess up the steering alignment because the tie rod does
> not attach to the strut it attaches to the steering knuckle, as does the
> lower control arm.
>
> -Fred W

Thanks again, Fred. After looking at the Haynes manual again, I now see, in
the picture, the locating pin on the spindle to position the strut. So if the
upper mount has similar locating features (as others here have said), this
should work out just fine. I'm going to check with the shop that they will
remove the strut without disconnecting the tierod, and properly support the
spindle assembly - no reason to suspect that they won't do it this way. The
strut inserts are still on backorder - guess the roads are really bad out here
in CA huh? everyone's lined up for new struts - so don't know when I'll get to
try out the handling with new "stuff".

Have always enjoyed getting new shocks, or new tires, almost as much as getting
a new car - weird, I guess, but that's just me.

Frank