Old January 26th 05, 01:26 AM
el Diablo

"Marcy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi Gang,
>
> I could use a little advise. I have a 1999 Toyota Prerunner and I have
> had all the little service issues, including oil and filter changes,
> done at the dealer where I bought it. I have always had great
> experiences with them and the service department.
>
> I just had my routine oilchange and for only the second time they made
> service recommendations (the first time it was because my brakes were
> showing considerable wear - and it was perfectly true).
>
> 1. Replace the Air Filter - I had about 25,000 miles on it so I just
> bought a new one and stuck it in. Piece of cake.
>
> 2. Flush the Master Brake Cylinder - I asked my dad to show it to me
> and we could see no drips or leaks around it, and the fluid level was
> normal. The cost for parts and labor is $129.
>
> It may have been flushed at the 30k service (I have 63k now), but
> certainly not since then. This truck is so wonderful, never a problem.
> My brother thinks they may be just trying to get some extra money from
> me, but since it is only $129 I was just going to do it to be safe.
>
> The only non-oilchange service I had planned this year is to get a new
> timing belt. Is flushing the Master Brake Cylinder something that
> should be done periodically or is this one of those things they sell to
> women who don't know any better? Any comments will be much appreciated.

It's a good idea to have the entire brake system flushed to get the old
brake fluid out and new in. I think that's what they're wanting to do to
your truck. Brake fluid gets dirty and will absorb moisture contaminating it
and lowering the boiling point, making it less effective and corrosive to
your brake parts.

My '99 Chevy truck has 69,000 miles on it, when I replace the front pads and
rotors this spring I plan to flush the brake system then.

Brian