Old October 21st 04, 03:21 AM
Bill 2

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 01:23:45 -0400, "Dave Stone" <n=> wrote:
>
> >Saturns were getting stolen like crazy near where I live, well for a

period
> >of about 2 weeks or so. I thought I read that the 95 SL was near the top

of
> >the theft list according to one report this past year..but I could be

wrong.

> I read the article; seems they were trivially easy to steal with some
> kind of special device.

"Skeleton key"? You can buy those off the internet for several makes. Easy
to unlock / start a car, and no damage done to the vehicle. It is cut on a
normal key so you can get copies made at any key cutting kiosk.

> But once the novelty wore off, even those
> thefts stopped after only two weeks - probably no market for them, and
> they are too boring for a joy ride.

Plymouth Acclaims are still frequently stolen around here (joyrides /
getaway vehicles). Just the other day someone driving a stolen Labaron hit
another car and killed the driver. It was the 20th time this teen stole a
car this year. Chances are a good number were Chryslers, because once a
joyrider learns how to steal a certain type of car, they will continue to do
so.

Oh, and as for our quality legal system. Two days prior to this recent
incident he was released from custody on another charge, even though the
parents were begging to have their son kept in the slammer, and he has a
looooooooooooooooooong record.

Today he was released under house-arrest on another charge.

Do they not get it? He will continue to commit crimes. Even after he has
killed someone, the public isn't being protected from him.

> "Under normal circumstance," Sheriff Minzey continued, "the past
> practice was to punch in the ignition, or pull it and try to figure
> out how to bypass the ignition that's in there.

One can use a pair of pliers. At least that's how the Chryslers work.