Old December 23rd 04, 08:39 PM
Jim Levie

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 17:56:46 +0000, Mike G wrote:

> "Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> Mike G > wrote:
>> > Should it lock at about the same on my 525i E34? Must say it's not
>> > something I've particularly noticed.

>> My E34 was a '92 with the first 5 speed ZF, and that felt just like a
>> 6th gear when it cut in - you could both hear it happen and *just* feel
>> it too, as well as seeing it on the rev counter.
>>
>> Other thing was it's inhibited with a cold engine - dunno how exactly
>> that sensor works.

> Mines a '94. Presumably the same box. I've noticed on a light throttle,
> the revs can drop to around 1500 plus, yet I'm still doing 55-60mph, with
> 35-40 mpg on the 'gasometer' thingy :-) There doesn't appear to be any
> noticeable 'step' though when it does that. It just seems to ease into it,
> and the rev counter still shows an increase if I give it just the
> slightest more throttle.

I think that's the torque coverter in action. I don't know what rpm it
locks up at, but on my 01 525 it is noticable when the rpm is lower than
about 2500rpm. Crusing at highway speed and backing on the throttle I'll
see a few hundred rpm drop w/o any noticable deceleration. On my car that
effect disappears above 3000rpm. Backing off the throttle there results in
noticable deceleration.

> Maybe I'm imagining it, but the colder it gets, the longer it seems to
> hang onto the gears first thing in the morning. Maybe the ECU has a
> temperature sensor, or it's just down to the oil being thicker. Mike.

I think this may be by design. Holding off shift points on cold engine
results in a higher volume of hot gas through the cats. That helps to get
them up to temperature and working sooner.

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.