Old October 29th 04, 08:53 AM
Eric Baber

"letters" > wrote in message
> As to desert driving, I've done a lot and never really had overheating
> problems. That said, removing the front license plate dropped the
> gauge from running at about 3/4 when going uphill to hovering only a
> little over the center mark as is usual.

I don't believe it!!!!! I've been having trouble with my MX5 doing just what
you describe - temp going up to 3/4 when pushing it in hot weather - since I
bought it (a year and a half ago). I've exchanged the thermostat and the the
radiator, and while especially putting in the new rad seemed to make some
difference, it hasn't solved it properly. And now you're saying that the
culprit is the license plate in front of the front air intake!!! Stands to
reason, really. That's where my plate is as well; I won't be able to remove
it completely (in the UK we have to have license plates front and back), but
I'll see if I can move it and if that makes a difference. I'll check
miata.net for pictures/suggestions of alternative fixing of the front
license plate.

I could have saved myself a bit of money if I'd known that earlier.... Ah
well. You live & learn.

Eric