Old September 4th 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Swanee

Default 1971 Super Beetle Convertable

First I am not a car person. I am a Carpenter so this is a little new
to me. I pull the Beetle out of a makeshift garage. It has been sitting
for about seven years. I changed the plugs, wires, ignition coil,
distributer cap, drained what little gas was in the tank out, and
stared her up. Now she runs but she is coughing and back firing. I
drove through one tank of gas thinking it might clear itself up. That
didn't happen. I changed the, carburetor, the fuel filter, and the
fuel pump, I think I have taken care of a lot of the problems, but it
is still back fires and coughs really badly.
Other things that happen are she has no power and loses speed when
you hit any hill, drastically. When trying to take off in first I have
to give it a lot of gas to get moving or it will sputter and stall.
Any hints would be appreciated greatly!!!
Thanks
Swanee