Old July 25th 05, 03:54 AM
John S

David Chesler wrote:

> John S wrote:
>
>> Right, but I assume it is only a problem when the car is being driven. I
>> can't think of a reason to hang a parking pass or a handicapped parking
>> permit when driving.

> The placard has a 7-year or so expiration. After 2 years of flipping
> it on and off the mirror it's already getting worn out.
>
> Putting it on and off is just one more pain-in-the-ass thing to
> worry about -- sometimes leaving it up is not worth the extra
> visibility.
>
> Since I'm able-bodied, I don't want to appear that I took the
> spot when I wasn't entitled, so I want to leave it up the entire
> time I'm in the spot, which includes some time that I'm driving.
> (The placard is issued to my wife, who has radiation-therapy-induced
> pneumonitis [She can still use her right ankle quite well, when
> she's driving.] If we parked in an HP spot but she's not in the car,
> it usually means she didn't feel she could walk all the way back to
> the car, and I've gone round to get the car and pick her up.)
>

>> I do see a lot of people driving around with their
>> handicapped placards dangling from their mirrors though. Sometimes I
>> almost feel that I am the only one without one.

> Almost anybody aged or infirm can probably get the requisite
> doctor's note.
>
>> It is probably a good idea to remove obstructions from your line of
>> vision.

> Is that why you've taken a Dremel to the day/night paddle on the
> bottom of your mirror?

day/night paddle, what's that? My car's mirror dims automagically,
and even before that wonderful invention came along I can't recall my
vision being obstructed by anything. I have had a (not handicapped)
parking pass hanging off the mirror and if I forget to remove it before
starting the engine, I've ripped it off by the time I've exited the
parking garage because I don't feel comfortable with a piece of plastic
obstructing my view while I'm driving. I've never found it to be a pain
in the ass to do, and I've never put any wear/tear on it either. I just
store it in a handy place in my car while not in use.