Old January 24th 05, 01:42 AM
Gilles Gour

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005, darealclemshady wrote:
>

>>Daniel, that's a great point. This is exactly what I've done. I
>>replace the plugs, THEN the wires and now I've got my problem again (it
>>did seem to work fine for about a thousand miles though). Do you think
>>that since the misfire has started occuring again (maybe due to damaged
>>plugs?) that the new plug wires I recently put in (about 1200 miles ago)
>>might now be damaged and in need of replacement at the same time as some
>>new plugs?

> Yep, that is a distinct possibility. When the spark "leaks" down the side
> of the insulator, it forms a conductive path on the insulator AND the
> inside wall of the boot. Fixing half the problem (replacing the plugs OR
> the wires) will generally reduce the leakage path's severity enough to get
> you a thousand miles or so of good running, but it's not a long-term fix.
> Replace the plugs AND the wires. Or, if you feel like trying to save your
> almost-new components, wipe the plug insulators and swab the plug boots'
> interiors THOROUGHLY with denatured alcohol (Q-tips work well for the
> boots) until they are squeaky clean. Apply silicone dielectric grease
> liberally to the plug boots, and reinstall everything.
>

>>Gilles Gour, Can you expand on the igniter a little bit? I haven't seen
>>it in the Haynes manual. Where is it, what does it do, and how can it
>>be tested/replaced?

> Vehicles with distributorless ignition do not use ignitors.
>
> DS

Sorry Daniel, but my 96 Legacy has a distributorless ignition and has an
igniter. The igniter is the electronic component that triggers the
primary circuit of the ignition coil. On my car - and I think on most if
not all Subarus - the ignitor is in the middle of the firewall. The
wires going to the coil's primary circuit will lead you there.
On page 2-16 of the Chilton's manual in the «Distributorless ignition
system», one can read: «The Ecu receives signals from the airflow
sensor, water temp sensor, crank angle sensor, cam angle sensor, knock
sensor and other verious indicators to judge the operating condition of
the engine. It then selects the optimum ignition timing stored in the
memory and immediately transmits a primarun current OFF signal TO THE
IGNITER to control the ignition timing.»
I could give you the testing method for the igniter when I put my hand
on my Haynes manual. Chilton's does'nt give any.