Old June 5th 04, 02:50 AM
Roger Brown

> i bought a 91 subaru legacy wagon from the russian guy down the street
> and did not really understand what he was telling me about this switch
> under the driver's seat that turns the battery on and off.
>
> i was desperate for a car and for some reason thought that switch was
> for the 4 wheel drive or something.
>
> anyway, this car runs fine but switching the battery on and off
> everywhere i go is not enough to keep the battery charged up. i have
> to remove the battery cables when leaving it overnight or the battery
> runs down.
>
> how can i figure out what to do about this?

Sounds like there is some contant drain on the battery. Get ahold of a current meter (ammeter) and hook it up between the battery post and cable (i.e. disconnect the cable - positive or negative - and hook the meter between the two). Observe the current
flow, then start pulling fuses until the current drops. When it does, something on the circuit is pulling current, find everything connected to that circuit and disconnect components until you find the one drawing the current. Once you identify the
source of the current drain, figure out what it'll take to fix it. Likely is something added on to the vehicle, so that would be the best place to start.

--
Roger