Old February 26th 04, 11:42 PM
eddy eagle

Dick C > wrote in message . 136>...
> Jim wrote in rec.autos.misc
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Some car has the so called 'windshield molding'. I wonder what's the
> > main function of that thing ? It just looks like a seal around your
> > windsheild...

> Helps keep the rain out, and the windshield in, in addition to the
> sealant used around the windshield. I have heard that the windshield
> helps keep the roof up in case of a rollover, and the molding helps
> keep it in.

The windshield is a structural part of the vehicle and performs a
function in rollover strength. The molding doesn't contribute much to
this aspect. The molding is not only aesthetic though. The edge of the
glass must be protected from any nicks whatsoever or the glass will
crack. It takes almost nothing on that edge to produce a crack either
at the time of the incident or weeks later.