Old August 14th 06, 12:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Pete C.

Default A/c completely dead, need advice

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> "Pete C." > wrote in message
> > Masospaghetti wrote:
> > >
> > > Hey all,
> > >
> > > Car is a 1986 Honda CRX. Where should I start looking for trouble if
> > > pushing the A/C button does _nothing_? No increased idle, no condenser
> > > fan, and obviously no cooling. the only thing that happens is the little
> > > "A/C" light turns on.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > James

> > Take it to a reputable shop, or buy a service manual. Might want to
> > spend the $15 on a service manual first anyway so you can check the
> > simpler stuff yourself. Either way, if the system needs evac and
> > recharge you're going to need to bring it to a shop for that due to
> > freon regulations.
> >
> > I recently repaired the A/C on my truck. I took it to a shop for
> > diagnosis which revealed leaking compressor seals. I couldn't justify
> > the cost to replace with new for a 9yr old truck so I had them leave the
> > system empty. I then replaced the compressor, orifice tube and
> > accumulator dryer myself using inexpensive rebuilt parts. Once I was
> > done I brought the truck back to the shop for evac and recharge.
> >

> I've done this myself before, however I have a leak detector, vacuum
> pump and guage set, flush gun and can do everything without paying a
> shop. Keep in mind that if you get 2 years out of an inexpensive rebuilt
> compressor, your doing pretty good.
>
> Ted

Do you also have a refrigerant recovery / recycling unit and EPA cert.
for refrigerant? I can't justify the time / money / effort for those
given the couple times a decade I might use them. Easier to have the
shop recover, I do the work on the empty system and then have them evac
and recharge.

Pete C.