Old August 12th 06, 04:59 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Pete C.

Default A/c completely dead, need advice

Masospaghetti wrote:

> wrote:
> > Pete C. wrote:

> > Most likely due to an empty system. The low pressure switch is
> > preventing the clutch from engaging.

> The system has plenty of refrigerant. I would have expected that the at
> least the condenser fan and boosted idle to kick in if it was just low
> on refrigerant.
>
> I tried jumping the clutch relay and the compressor engages. the system
> actually cools extremely well.
>
> I figured it would be low refrigerant when I first saw the car too, but
> I pushed on the low-side schrader and got a huge blast coming out.
>

> thanks for the advice.

Would have been helpful to include that information in the original
post, we aren't mind readers. At any rate if you've traced the problem
that far it would seem the problem is the clutch relay, one of the
pressure switches the wiring from the pressure switches or the switch on
the dash. A factory wiring diagram would be a big help in isolating it.

Depending on the vehicle you may be able to replace some of the pressure
switches without having to evacuate and recharge the system, but you'll
need the manual to tell you that. If not you'll need to take it
somewhere to have them recover the refrigerant so you can change the
switch and then have them put the refrigerant back if you find the
switch is at fault.

Pete C.