Old June 30th 06, 12:07 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default BMW Maintenance Agreement

"admin" > wrote in message
> tww wrote:
> > The local BMW dealer has been advertising maintenance coverage on new

BMWs
> > that extends to everything from oil changes to brakes up to 50k miles. I
> > assume this is rather like an extended warranty that you pay for over

and
> > above the cost of the car. Since I am not a BMW owner -- not wealthy
> > enough -- it seemed unlikely to me that BMW would cover everything for
> > nothing. Am I right?

> You're wrong. The "not wealthy enough" is exactly why BMW extends full
> maintenance on their cars - and they also hope some maintenance is done
> so they can resell the car at the end of the lease (over 50% of new BMWs
> are leased..) It is provided at no additional cost (which probably isn't
> the same as no-cost - it's factored into the wholesale price of the car..)

Actually, as a still working retired USAF type, I could buy. I was being
facetious since I have heard that maintenance costs on BMW are out of sight.
However, given a maintenance agreement for 50k that is built into the price,
it does become very reasonable. However, I should not think that typically
you would run into anything significant for that period of time anyway.
Brakes should last 50k at least, for example. And, a major tune-up should
not be for quite some time. I would think that buying some with say 100k
miles on it would present a whole new set of expensive problems unless the
car was well maintained.