Old April 10th 06, 01:23 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default E34 540i - Misfrie when cold

Good afternoon,

I recently purchased a '96 E34 540i A/T with 170,000 km and a FSH. I drove
the car from Johannesburg to Cape Town, a distance if 1,500 km ... it went
extremely well, averaging 10.4 l/100km at 140km/h. However, each morning
when cold the engine hunts and misfires at idle (it smells like it's running
extremely rich). The revs pick up, then drop, then it misfires, then it
picks up revs. Once on the road the performance is fine. The rough idle
carries on for about twenty minutes until the engine is warm. I'd like to
solve this problem before the engine is damaged.

Thanks for all help received.

Ralf