Old July 24th 05, 08:51 PM

"Kruse" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Chevy II four cylinder engine without any problems.
> Oh, wait. I forgot that this was GM.

Yep...
I'm one of the people who call the Iron Duke engine bad names. For me, it
was a POS.
The one in our 84 Fiero cracked early on, and GM denied there was any
problem. Finally,
when it could limp no further, I pulled it out and surely enough there was
the characteristic
crack. Several trips to the boneyard yielded many more engines of the same
year with the
same cracked blocks. Finally, I found one that was worn out but no crack,
had it bored,
and rebuilt it.

GM has made ****teaux engines which include some of the 3800's (although
many are quite
reliable, not all series are), the DOHC affront to humanity, and a few
others.

By the way, I just bought the CR annual review, and although I openly do not
trust CR very
much, it is helpful in finding a body style I like, and picking out the
engine/transmission options
I can get. It looks like, if I am to buy new or slightly used, it is
probably going to be a Honda
or a Toyota, but CR's ratings had little or nothing to do with it.