Old September 7th 04, 03:34 AM
Dana Myers

Clark Smith wrote:

> Last I wrote my 2000 Miata was broken down (stopped running and would not
> start) and towed to a dealer in Shreveport, LA. After changing out the fuel
> pump relay and computer to no avail, they diagnosed the problem as damage to
> the fusebox and wiring somehow caused by the after market alarm. They wanted
> to replace the wiring harness which would not be covered by my extended
> warranty, at a cost of approx. $3,000.

This was at an authorized Mazda dealer?

> I picked the car up and trailered it to the dealer in Houston where the car
> was purchased. They quickly found the problem- the bolts holding the A/C
> compressor to the bracket had worked loose and fallen out. When the A/C was
> turned on, the compressor came forward and broke off the crankshaft
> positioning sensor. Replaced same and car now ok. They did have to replace
> the computer, but only because the other dealer had shorted it out in their
> troubleshooting attempt. The dealer found no damage to the wiring and
> nothing wrong with the alarm. They fixed everything under warranty, cost $
> zero. Go figure!

Wow. One dealer did the right job, and the other dealer is
stunningly incompetent. Then they wonder why I don't want to
take my car in for a $35 oil change.

I had a similar experience with a 2-week Geo Prism once.
Stunning incompetence at an authorized dealer.

Dana