Old June 8th 04, 10:58 PM
Neil Waterworth

"Tom Boltwood" > wrote in message

> > From: "Neil Waterworth" >
> > Newsgroups: alt.autos.alfa-romeo
> > Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 21:11:28 +0100
> > Subject: 156 aerial
> >

> > "fmt" > wrote in message
> > om...
> >> I pick up my 156 (2001 Y reg saloon) in a few days, but am a little
> >> intrigued as to the type of aerial fitted to the car.
> >> Is it just the Sportswagon that has the aerial as part of the back
> >> window, or is it the saloon as well.
> >> Is the reception any good, or is it worth adding a roof aerial, and if
> >> so how easy is this?
> >> Thanks

> > Sorry I overlooked your post before asking the same question above. As
> > previously stated, MW - unlistenable, LW - non existent, FM - fine. Bit
> > annoying as I only want to listen to (UK) Radio 5 MW and Radio 4 LW for

Test
> > Match Special.
> >
> > If you find a good solution, I'd be glad if you share. I'll do likewise

if I
> > find one.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Neil
> >

> Well for TMS and the sounds of CMJ raiding the biscuit tin you could

connect
> to the net on your laptop and stream the audio over the internet if you
> drove through enough wireless hotspots...

Nice thought, and I've got the kit to do it. Shame I live in Cornwall, so
it's a long drive to the nearest hotspot. But, there might be some money
left in the work IT budget - hmmm

> I'm personally thinking of buying a separate am aerial which can sit in

the
> car, because I think (on my 164 anyway) it's only an FM aerial, and the
> aftermarket stereo I had to put in doesn't have its own AM aerial.

I just bought an aftermarket stereo for my 156, but it didn't improve
anything on MW/LW, or make it worse. FM is good clear stereo, and I guess
the rear screen aerial is meant to be AM and the stereo has its own built-in
FM one. Could be very wrong here, but I remember talk of AM and FM using
different aerials, and AM using the bulkier ones. If you find something that
works, it would be great to hear from you.