Old August 23rd 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don[_1_]

Default Why would AC only work when foot is on gas?

On 22 Aug 2006 11:46:29 -0700, "David" >
wrote:

>Our family has two Isuzu Rodeos, a 1995 and a 1997. The AC on the 1995
>works great. the 1997 stinks. On the '97 Rodeo when I'm sitting still,
>it gets very hot when the car is idling. My first thought is that the
>engine is getting so hot, I need to be moving to have the additional
>air cooling. However, I discovered today, the AC work fine when I'm
>sitting at a stop light if I just put the vehicle in neutral and give
>it gas. Strangely enough though, the 1995 doesn't do that. Sitting
>idle in the sun it cools so well that after 5-10 minutes you have turn
>down the AC.
>
>Any ideas why the '97 is having this problem? Is it an AC problem, AC
>clutch? harmonic balancer, or just a design flaw? Works great on the
>freeway, but in city traffic in Dallas I'm quickly getting up to 100+.
>
>many thanks for any suggestions!
>David

A weak compressor will work half-assed at high rpm and cool little or
not at all at low rpm. This can easily be verified with gauges. You
might see 70-80 PSI low side, maybe 130 high side at idle. Should be
more like 30/200 but this is dependent on MANY factors.

Don
www.donsautomotive.com