Old February 2nd 05, 03:51 PM
Brent P

In article >, Magnulus wrote:

> "Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
>> "My boyfriends 2001 prius just broke down after 245,000 miles. It is
>> the battery pack and they want about $6000 to replace it."
>>
>> http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic...842&highlight=

> Sounds like gouging to me.

Seems typical of battery replacement costs for electrics and hybrids.

> If this guy has really driven 250,000 miles in his Prius, he has probably
> saved several thousands of dollars in the price of gasoline- I'm guessing
> maybe 8,500, vs. driving a similar car.

He may have just made it over the break even point for his initial
investment compared to an equal gasoline powered car. His savings and
then some are consumed by replacing the battery pack. Let's say the
gasoline car needed a new motor at this same point for a best case. It's
still no better than even.