Old October 12th 04, 08:13 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Steve L. wrote:

> I had my muffler changed about 2 or 3 yrs ago at midas or speedy (can't
> remember) on a 93 grand caravan. It fell off this weekend. When I
> checked it, the muffler itself was like new but the small pipes leading
> to and from the muffler were all corroded. I'm wondering if Midas/Speedy
> are using stainless steel on the muffler but the pipes that are welded
> to the muffler themselves are just mild steel??

If you patronize places like Midas or Speedy, you get crapola -- even if
you pay for their "premium" stuff. I doubt they installed a
stainless-steel muffler on your car at Midas or Speedy, unless it was a
cheaply-made "universal" muffler. Even the best quality name-brand
mufflers available for your '93 Caravan aren't stainless like the original
Chrysler unit was -- they're aluminized steel, same as you'll get if you
try to buy an "original equipment" muffler from the dealer.

> The clamps that they used were corroded badly as well. You'd think they
> would use stainless steel clamps??

At Midas? At Speedy? Pffft.