Old November 22nd 04, 04:14 PM
Speedy Jim

Kevin wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have a 1600dp, with about 3000miles on the clock and is about 10 months
> old. It doesn't drip a drop, well at least not in my carport. I do however
> have a mean clutch shudder, it's not the Bowden tube, I have replaced it and
> set the correct "dip".
>
> I suspect the clutch or pressure plate, as I've discovered it was the same
> one that was on the original oil leaking engine. I want to remove the engine
> and replace the clutch but get the whole system balanced, the clutch,
> pressure plate and flywheel, so that every thing is matting probably. My
> question is that, I'll have to remove the flywheel for this, will I have to
> replace the rear main seal when I do? It's not leaking and is less than a
> year old, I'm not a believer in fixing something that isn't broken. Could
> removing the flywheel damage the seal?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Regards
> Kevin

"Front" seal. I would be OK with re-using it. More likely to be
damaged is the O-ring seal inside the flywheel; definitely replace
that. And double check the crank endplay afterward.

Before you go thru all this bother, check the tranny mounts;
a broken/worn mount will cause clutch chatter.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/