Old May 9th 05, 11:08 PM
Doug

I am on my third clutch in my 146 ti. 176,000 miles and still going
strong so no complaints. On both occasions the clutch failure was
preceded by a rushing noise when the clutch pedal was depressed. In
both cases it was the thrust bearing which was wearing.

I was advised that if the feel of the clutch pedal is not changing then
you should be OK but any change and you should replace the clutch. I
ignored this advice the second time and suffered a complete failure (the
clutch would not disengage - scary in town traffic).

On both occasions I paid about £400, mostly labour. Apparently the
2.0l twinspark is a sh*t of a job. I don't know about the 1.6 (boxer?).