Old July 5th 05, 06:34 PM
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

"Arif Khokar" > wrote in message
> bosk wrote:
>
> > Looking back on this, I'm so glad I was driving the older Toyota stick
> > shift, not because of the manual trans. but because the other car I
> > sometimes drive (a relative's) is a similar looking wagon, newer
> > Subaru, but it is automatic and has ABS brakes which I still cannot get
> > used to, particularly the loss of steering and control I've experienced
> > in it.

> With ABS, you're better able to maintain steering control as opposed to
> skidding in a stright line like you did in the Toyota.

Except that overcorrecting while steering during ABS braking can lead to a
spinout (car) or rollover (minivan, SUV), if the vehicle doesn't have some
sort of intelligent traction control system.

I'm almost convinced it's better to NOT have ABS and properly learn
threshold braking (releasing the brakes when the wheels first lock up and
reapplying them again when the wheels aren't locked up anymore, then repeat
as the emergency situation requires).

And of course, ABS or no ABS, the inevitable tailgater following too close
behind is always a hazard whenever any sort of emergency braking situation
has to occur. They'll never stop in time, following that close.