Old August 14th 06, 11:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ed White[_1_]

Default Auto Lock - DISABLE???

wrote:
> Hello,
> Can anyone tell me if it is possible to turn off the "Auto Lock"
> feature in a 97 Explorer.
> If I am not referring to this correctly, I am talking about the
> "feature" where the vehilcle automatically locks the doors once you
> start driving!
> I HATE THIS FEATURE and would love to disable it.

Did you read your owner's guide?

>From page 77 of the 1997 Explorer Owner's Guide:

"The autolock feature can be disabled (or reenabled) by using the
keyless entry system:
1. Enter your permanent five-digit entry code (not the user code you
may have set).
2. Within five seconds, press and hold 7/8.
3. Within five more seconds, press and release 3/4.
4. Release 7/8.

To reactivate the system, repeat the system deactivating
instructions.

Ed