Old April 18th 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Locked seat belt retractor

Hi All,

I am in the process of replacing the seat belt and retractor of my '96
Ford Taurus wagon (2nd row righthand side). The new unit just came in,
but it seems to be locked in the fully spooled up position. If I try to
unroll it, it clicks into the locked position (unsure whether it is the
'collision type' locking or the 'childseat type' ratchet locking).

Is there a trick to release the lock before installation? I tried
keeping it upright as suggested in some forums, that did not help. There
is a transparent window on one side of the housing that looks like it
can be pried off to then pull some widgets underneath. Is this indeed
how it should work? I'd rather not pry stuff open unless necessary...

Thanks!

Martijn